Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment such as transportation systems for example roads and bridges; buildings, water systems e.g. dams and sewage plants; and other public facilities such as airports, stadia, and train stations.
Roles and responsibilities of a civil engineer
There are two important aspects within civil engineering: consulting engineering and contracting engineering. Consulting engineering is into design of project while contracting engineering implements the design through physical construction. Some of the key roles and responsibilities of the civil engineer are as listed:
- Analysis of site location and surrounding area, investigating and verifying its feasibility for construction purposes.
- Design of a plan which outlines the key variables and what needs to be changes prior to construction
- Development of a design layout keeping in mind the requirements of the client. The design needs to be reviewed to identify any potential risks and challenges that may be involved in the project before the design is approved.
A civil engineer therefore plays a very important role in the planning and execution of all kinds of engineering projects.
List Of Schools that Offer Civil Engineering in Nigeria
- AAU – Adekunle Ajasin University,
- ABUAD – Afe Babalola University
- ABU – Ahmadu Bello university, Zaria
- ABUJA – University of Abuja
- AKSU – Akwaibom State University
- COOU – Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University
- AUE – Adeleke University, Ede
- BAUCHI – Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University
- BAYERO – Bayaro University
- BAZE – Baze University
- BELLS – Bells University of Technology
- BENIN – University of Benin
- BIU – Benson Idahosa University
- COVENANT – Covenant University, Canaan Land
- CRUTECH – Cross River University of Technology
- DELSU – Delta State University
- ELIZADE – Elizade University
- FED-NDUFU – Federal University, Ndufu-Alike,
- FED-OTUOKE – Federal University, Otuoke
- FED-OYEEKITI – Federal University, Oye-Ekiti
- FUTA – Federal University of Technology
- FUTO – Federal University of Technology
- FUNAAB – Federal University of Agriculture
- GREGORY – Gregory University
- IBADAN – University of Ibadan
- IGBINEDION – Igbinedion University, Okada
- ILORIN – University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- IMSU – Imo State University
- JOS – University of Jos
- KSUSTA – Kebbi State University of Science and Technology
- KUST – Kanu University of Science and Technology
- KWASU – Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
- LAGOS – University of Lagos Akoka,
- LANDMARK – Landmark University
- LAUTECH – Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- MADONNA – Madonna University
- MAIDUGURI – University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- MAKURDI – Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- MAUTY – Modibbo Adama University of Technology,
- MINNA – Federal University of Technology, Minna
- NDA – Nigerian Defence Academy
- NDU – Niger Delta University
- NTNU – Nigeria Turkish Nile University
- OAU – Obafemi Awolowo University
- OOU – Olabisi Onabanjo University
- OSUSTECH – Ondo State University of Science and Technology
- PHC – University of Port-Harcourt
- RSUST – Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- TSUJ – Taraba State University, Jalingo
- UDU – Usmanu Danfodio University
- UMUDIKE – Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- UNIOSUN – Osun State University
- UNIZIK – Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- UNN – University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- UYO – University of Uyo
Employment prospects in civil engineering in Nigeria
Civil engineers find employment opportunities in government and private firms in Nigeria. Some of the leading government and private enterprises which offer employment to civil engineers in Nigeria include:
- Federal and state government ministries of works and agencies under them such as Federal road maintenance agency.
- Julius Berger Nigeria: this is one of the leading construction companies in the country and they are known for their state of the art projects.
- Reynold Construction Company (RCC) Nigeria: their major areas of operation are in the construction and rehabilitation of rural and urban roads, highways, bridges and runways for major airports.
- G Cappa PLC: they are one of the leading building and civil engineering companies in the country with expertise in complex infrastructure and high rise building.
These are companies which are almost exclusively for civil engineers. However, there are other companies which are not majorly into construction but need civil engineers for their construction works.
You have been spending money buying data to read news online while publishers make huge revenue from adverts without giving you a dime; this is about to change as Rant Money now shares her advert revenue with readers -
Stay in touch with Naira Bookstore
Keep up to date on the latest books here at Naira Bookstore. Subscribe below.